Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I Am a Jew

I am a Jew.

I sat and wept by the rivers of Babylon.
I rebuilt with Nehemiah.
I fought the Greeks and was victorious.
I watched with disbelief as the walls of the Temple fell.
I saw rivers of blood at Beitar.
I died at Masada.
I watched in horror as Rabbi Akiva was martyred.
I studied at Yavneh.
I learned philosophy at the feet of Maimonides.
I witnessed in fear, the debate at Barcelona.
I experienced the disappointment in Shabbetai Zvi.
I marvelled at the Vilna Gaon.
I was outraged at the Dreyfus trial.
I had my wife and children torn from my arms in a death camp in Poland.
I heard Nazi guards sing christmas carols the day before my death.
I could not believe my eyes when the Germans retreated from the Warsaw Ghetto.
I helped build the atom bomb.
I followed the voice of Ben Gurion to the promised land.
I fought alongside Ariel Sharon.
I cried at Maalot.
I shocked the world in 1967.
I paid for my arrogance in 1973.
I was rescued by Jewish soldiers at Entebbe, and it felt like G-d himself took us home.
I saw smiles in Oslo, tears in Israel.
I said goodbye to Gaza, hello to Hamas.

I am a Jew. I am every Jew that ever lived. I brought morality to the world. I rejoiced at Einstein's Nobel Prize. I took pride in our great thinkers. I was shamed by every scandal. I cried after every attack. I comforted the survivors. I have died and I rose up from the ashes.

I am a Jew.

21 comments:

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stacey said...

This was so moving and beautiful. It brought chills up my spine and tears to my eyes.

I am so proud to be a Jew. (Oy, if I could only type!)

Post-Denom Jew said...

Amazing. I just did a post today called "Jewish Strength" that relates to your poem.

The Jewish Freak said...

Thanks everyone. I guess a sleepless night at 2:00 AM can make a poet out of anyone.

JDHURF said...

Very nice you should write more poetry, if not for the blog just to write, for you are obviously well equipped to write good poetry.
I am like you I seem to be at my most creative late at night, though sometimes I’m just so tired what I write ends up being horrible, mostly not though.

AbbaGav said...

Very nice work. 2am suits you.

Scottage said...

This is a great speech! With your permission, I would like to reprint it and link to it. everyone should read this. I won't do so until I get your permission, of course.

The Jewish Freak said...

JD: Thank you for the kind words. I have a feeling that everything you write is good no matter what the time.

Gav: I'm honored.

Scottage: Please feel free to reprint and link. You are very kind.

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Nice. Liked the poem.

--Jameel
The Muqata, Inc.

The Jewish Freak said...

Jameel: Thank you for the compliment, and thanks for stopping by!

kasamba said...

It takes real Siatta D'shmayah to write something so amazing!

Uou are obviously incredibly talented!

The Jewish Freak said...

Kasamba: You are very kind. Thank you for the compliment.

The Jewish Freak said...

Filou: Thank you very much.

Jack Steiner said...

Well done.

The Jewish Freak said...

Thanks Jack!

topshadchan said...

Very nicely done.
Keep em honest!

and so it shall be... said...

TJF, I wasn't sure that was an original work, but reading the comments, i see it is. It is a fantastic piece of writing. Great work.

The Jewish Freak said...

Happy & SW: Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliment.

Anonymous said...

its good you are all basking in your pride while the Palestinians are slaughtered and the Americans are deceived into a false reality and false war.

You have violated the Covenant. You have so much power but you all use it only for your own benefit. Gods people, those who have hold the covenant, are at the mercy of God and are faithful. Where is your faith in the Messiah if you used the weapons of the devil to reach the promised land?

and so it shall be... said...

its good you are all basking in your pride while the Palestinians are slaughtered and the Americans are deceived into a false reality and false war.

You have violated the Covenant. You have so much power but you all use it only for your own benefit. Gods people, those who have hold the covenant, are at the mercy of God and are faithful. Where is your faith in the Messiah if you used the weapons of the devil to reach the promised land?


Why don't you just stick it up your ass!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!