Thursday, February 23, 2006

Beautiful Words In The Hebrew Bible

The Book of our people contains some beautiful poetic verses:
(translation from the original Hebrew is my own - JF)

"And Moses alighted to G-d, and G-d called to him from the mountain saying, So shall you say to the house of Jacob, and tell to the children of Israel. You have seen that which I did to Egypt; I carried you on the wings of eagles and I brought you to Me. And now, If you will indeed hearken to My voice and keep my covenant then you will be a treasure to Me from among all the nations, for all the earth is Mine. And you shall be a nation of princes, and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel."

9 comments:

Post-Denom Jew said...

Very beautiful

David Guttmann said...

Try Robert Alter's translation. It is not "Ausgehalten" but where he is he is great. I use him many times shh...

Stacey said...

Lovely. I really like it.

Smooth said...

There is no other nation that I would rather be part of.

Smooth said...

p.s. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Am very glad to have discovered your blog as well. I also added you to my sidebar. Thanks again!

The Jewish Freak said...

Sushi: I especially like the "wings of eagles" part. Great imagery.

David G: Thanks, I will check it out.

Stacey: I'm glad you liked it. Our people produced the most influential book of all times. It also has some very beautiful parts.

Smooth: Glad to have you in the tribe, and thank you for the kind words.

Stevin: Great to have you back! Glad you liked the post.

Anonymous said...

This issue becomes:

Did you keep His covenant?

Anonymous said...

I inclination not approve on it. I assume precise post. Specially the designation attracted me to read the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.